Aerial threats are growing in complexity and quantity, and the number of early-warning systems is increasing in step. This leads to sub-optimal decision-making and resource utilization. As a result, new solutions are required for increasing coverage and shortening response times throughout the air surveillance (AS) mission lifecycle.
BRO for Air Surveillance (BRO-AS) is an advanced battle resource optimization system that maximizes the performance of air surveillance missions. BRO-AS enables optimal deployment planning, adaptive search pattern planning and management, real-time performance estimation and operational recommendations, and improved mission debriefing. Battle-tested BRO-AS maximizes air surveillance decision quality, sensor system utilization, and situational awareness.
The system takes into account the performance and interoperability of varied sensors (e.g. radar, ELINT and IR) and platforms (e.g. stationary, mobile and airborne) against various threats (e.g. ABT, TBM and CM). BRO-AS then delivers mission success estimation, optimal sensor deployment and utilization, routing recommendations, and performance degradation alerts. Working either independently or in conjunction with command and control (C4I) systems, BRO-AS enables air surveillance commanders to make decisions more quickly and effectively.
BRO-AS Planner enables the mission planning team to estimate and maximize mission performance through optimized pre-mission planning:
- Planning and performance estimation: pre-mission sensor deployment, route planning and performance estimation versus mission goals, taking into account terrain, predicted environmental conditions, communication limitations, threat intelligence, and various other constraints
- Recommendations: optimal deployment, routing and setup recommendations for sensors against user-defined threat scenarios
- Operational order generation: production of an operational order, which includes policy definition, resource deployment or routing, and major sensor and platform parameters, such as search patterns, frequency allocation and sensor mounting
BRO-AS Commander delivers a range of real-time capabilities to the mission operations team for optimized mission management:
- Performance estimation: real-time performance estimation based on current operational deployment and platform location, system availability, environmental conditions and threat assessment/intelligence
- Alerts and notifications: real-time alerts and notifications about performance degradation, coverage gaps, or failed execution of the operational order
BRO-AS Debriefer provides important information to BRO-AS Commander and allows the mission debriefing team to streamline and optimize the debriefing process:
- Automatic model calibration: ongoing calibration of sensor models, as well as physical models relating to RF propagation effects (e.g. clutter and multi-path)
- Failure/performance degradation detection: mission-oriented system-wide performance analysis, and automatic indications of mission performance degradation or system failure
- Battlefield learning: automatic analysis of enemy behavior, as well as anomaly detection, including detection and characterization of unknown aerial target types
- Custom debriefing: user-friendly interface allowing advanced users to create custom debriefing settings and templates for other users to employ, such as sensor detection reports and operational summaries
- Data manipulation/visualization: access of advanced users to cutting-edge data manipulation and visualization tools that allow streamlining of the operational/technical debriefing process (e.g., sensor operational coverage, enemy activity, and operability statistics)